Fifth grade band and orchestra students at Aspen Elementary practiced the “Star Spangled Banner” on Monday. They are preparing for a performance during a basketball shoot off on Friday.
The Frog Lady brought many of her reptile and amphibian friends for a visit to Mrs. Szoke’s first grade class. The students met a bearded dragon, a tegu lizard, a box turtle, a tortoise, a chameleon, a corn snake and more. The children had great fun watching some of the animals eat worms. They also learned about their habits and lifestyles. The bearded dragon, the corn snake and the turtle were so friendly that students got to pet them.
Ms. Pogachnik’s fifth-grade class at Aspen Elementary had their second visit with their Nora Project friends on Thursday. The Nora Project aims to normalize difference, demystify disability and promote meaningful connections between students and their peers with disabilities.
All Aspen Elementary students received a treat today. Actors from Libertyville’s Improv Playhouse performed an adaptation of the classic tale “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” during an afternoon assembly. The actors brought the world of Narnia to life. The special event was in celebration of all the reading that Aspen students have been doing.
Elementary South and Aspen Elementary’s fourth and fifth grade band concert on Tuesday showed just how far students have come this year. They played beautifully.
On Wednesday, fifth-grade students in Mrs. Pogachnik’s class were introduced to four guest students from the middle schools as part of the Nora Project. They played games as a way to get to know each other better. It was great to see how well the students connected. Co-founded by an educator and the parents of a child with disabilities, the Nora Project aims to normalize difference, demystify disability, and promote meaningful connections between students and their peers with disabilities.
As part of the Nora Project, two Elementary South third-grade students visited fourth-grade students in Mrs. Chandler’s class at Aspen Elementary. The students got to know each other by playing games such as Bingo and Hedbanz. They also decorated frames. The Nora Project aims to normalize difference, demystify disability, and promote meaningful connections between students and their peers with disabilities. This is the first time that Aspen is participating in the program.
Last week, Aspen fifth-grade orchestra students learned a new finger pattern. They picked it up right away and sounded great.
While the words were simple at first, they became harder as the fourth and fifth grade spelling bee at Aspen moved from round to round. The six contestants showed their strong spelling skills as the words became more complex. At first it seemed as though no one would ever misspell a word. But after an amazing 41 rounds, Michelle B. was declared the winner. Congratulations to Michelle and Annika T., who came in second. Congratulations to all the contestants who clearly proved their great spelling abilities.
It was an exciting day at Aspen Elementary as six contestants competed to become the winner of the school’s fourth and fifth grade Geography Bee. With steady nerves, they answered some pretty tough questions. Congratulations to the winner, Jonah B., a student in Mr. Viviano’s class. He now has the opportunity to take an online test to see if he can qualify for the State National Geographic GeoBee.
- Aspen Updates September 8, 2017September 7, 2017 - 3:44 pm
- Fly Away EventJune 7, 2017 - 3:27 pm
- Olympic Day 2017June 5, 2017 - 4:04 pm
- Girls on the Run Perform at Victory CentreJune 2, 2017 - 1:35 pm
- Aspen 5th Grader, Polina Chaadayeva, Illinois State Rhythmic...May 30, 2017 - 1:02 pm
- Fifth Grade Healthy Lifestyles Graduation CeremonyMay 25, 2017 - 10:50 am
- Aspen Updates, May 26, 2017May 25, 2017 - 8:43 am
- Fourth Graders Support VHGive InitiativeMay 24, 2017 - 7:50 am
- Last family night was a success!April 18, 2019 - 4:14 pm
- Climbing unit begins in PE classesApril 18, 2019 - 4:09 pm
- NO SCHOOL 4/19/19April 18, 2019 - 4:06 pm
- Mid term is here!April 18, 2019 - 4:04 pm
- Fireman Tony visits Kindergarten and 4th gradersApril 18, 2019 - 4:00 pm
- Coming soon – Open house and music programApril 18, 2019 - 3:58 pm
- Free Throw Assembly Is Great Fun for EveryoneApril 15, 2019 - 3:05 pm
- Practice Makes PerfectApril 8, 2019 - 4:00 pm