The Aspen and Elementary South Science Olympiad Team held their final event for the year. Students tested out the catapults they had built. Their creative contraptions launched marshmallows into the air. The tricky part was hitting the target. Students did a great job.
Teachers tested just how far cars made from scrap could travel during last week’s “Junk Car” competition coordinated by the Elementary South and Aspen Elementary Science Olympiad team. Michael from Mr. Viviano’s class and Nishita from Mrs. Wagner’s class were declared the winners. Both of their cars traveled more than 8 meters. Great job students.
More than 50 students participated in the Elementary South and Aspen Elementary Science Olympiad virtual event on Thursday. Students tested just how far their multi-piece flying glider devices could travel. The longest distance traveled was 15 meters! Great job students!
Teachers launched a variety of fun activities and projects in conjunction with Valentine’s Day. First grade hybrid students in the classes of Ms. Green, Mrs. Loiben and Mrs. Szoke at Aspen Elementary made adorable Valentine’s Day booklets for their families. Classes also held PTO-sponsored virtual parties packed with fun games and activities.
Students in Mrs. Williamson’s second grade class at Aspen Elementary learned all about the sun. In a video, Library Media Specialist Ms. Riley read them “The Sun Is Kind of a Big Deal.” Ms. Riley reads a new Monarch Award Nominee book each week. The students will get to vote for their favorite book in March.
Thanks to parents and community members, the food pantries at Hawthorn Elementary North and Aspen Elementary were brimming with fresh goods to hand out during Hawthorn District 73’s Student Supply Pick Up on October 29. Staff gave away numerous bags of groceries to families in need as they arrived in cars to pick up school supplies for their children.
“We were overwhelmed by the generosity of parents,” said Hawthorn Elementary North Principal Kathryn Waggoner. “We are so thankful to our community for providing such a large abundance of goods for our pantries.”
The two pantries are now working on replenishing supplies. They are looking for non-perishable items such as cereal, peanut butter and jelly, macaroni and cheese, pasta and pasta sauce, rice and beans, individually wrapped bars of soap, shampoo, toothpaste and other necessities.
To make a donation to one of the pantries, please call Elementary North at 847-990-4500 or Aspen Elementary at 847-990-4300. A safe and socially distanced drop-off will be arranged. Families in need can also call these numbers to make arrangements to pick up food.
We look forward to seeing you at Band Orientation Night! This is an event for students and parents to attend together. At 7:00 pm click on the link for your student’s school. At 7:30 pm click on the link for your student’s instrument. You will need your instrument for the 7:30 meeting, but please do not assemble your instrument until you are asked to do so.
The next Aspen Family Night is scheduled for Friday, April 3. This event will be hosted by the Multicultural Family Alliance and the theme is: Families Around the World – Your Passport through Food and Games. The Multicultural Family Alliance is looking for volunteers to host a game or a craft or bring in bite sized finger food that represents a country or culture. Please let us know if you would be interested in volunteering for this wonderful evening.
Calling all parents of incoming kindergartners! An information night is planned for Tuesday, March 10 for all kindergarten parents and will be held at Elementary South at 7:00 p.m. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn all about the new kindergarten building and registration procedures. If you are interested in the School of Dual Language kindergarten program, their information night is on Tuesday, March 3 at 7 p.m. at the School of Dual Language.
- Experimenting with Mixed MediaSeptember 5, 2018 - 2:03 pm
- Open House / Music Program InformationApril 25, 2018 - 8:26 am
- Key to 73 Education Foundation Wants Your InputApril 19, 2018 - 1:20 pm
- Aspen Updates April 13, 2018April 12, 2018 - 2:02 pm
- PTO Family Fun & Fitness Night FundraiserApril 12, 2018 - 1:59 pm
- Apsen Updates April 6, 2018April 5, 2018 - 3:21 pm
- Staff Appreciation ContributionsApril 5, 2018 - 3:16 pm
- District 73 Schedules Community Engagement MeetingsMarch 21, 2018 - 2:51 pm
- Putting Contraptions to the TestMay 6, 2021 - 1:58 pm
- Homemade Cars Are Put to the Test in Science Olympiad C...April 12, 2021 - 12:02 pm
- Students Test How Far a Paper Airplane Can FlyFebruary 16, 2021 - 10:36 am
- Valentine’s Day Activities Are a BlastFebruary 11, 2021 - 3:02 pm
- Students Learn All About the SunFebruary 10, 2021 - 9:54 am
- Encore Spirit Wear SaleNovember 18, 2020 - 10:45 am
- Community and Families Provide Unprecedented Donations to...November 4, 2020 - 3:35 pm
- 4th Grade Band & Orchestra Orientation Night –...October 8, 2020 - 9:42 am