Monday, May 27, is Memorial Day. This is a NO SCHOOL Day for all students. Enjoy your long weekend! School resumes on Tuesday, May 28.
Thank you so much to all the students, families and staff members that have participated in our annual Giving Tree. Thanks to all of you, our families will be enjoying a great holiday with all their wishes fulfilled. Happy Holidays to our entire Aspen family!
The season of giving is already here, and in the spirit of the season, Aspen will again be putting up the Giving Tree. The tree will have different colored paper mittens on it noting different needs and wants of some of our own Aspen families. If you can and would like to help, please feel free to come in and take a mitten off the tree, purchase the item noted, and bring it back to school unwrapped and we will get it to the appropriate family. Thank you, in advance, for helping our Aspen families to have a great season.
Wednesday, October 31 will be a day filled with fun and excitement for Aspen Elementary students. Following our regularly scheduled lunch/recess, students will dress in costume for a school wide Halloween parade. After the parade, students will return to homerooms for their PTO sponsored room parties for the remainder of the afternoon. (See next page for more parade information).
Costume Guidelines – When planning your child’s costume, please keep safety and comfort in mind. Please be sensitive to the fact that we service young children and choose costumes that are appropriate and are not scary. In order to insure the safety of all children we ask that you follow these guidelines:
- Students in grades K – 5th should bring their costumes to school and will be given time to change prior to the parade.
- Weapons and other suggestions of violence, including fake blood, are not allowed.
- Hair color is not allowed to be used at school (it is messy!)
- Make-up needs to be minimal and applicable in 1-2 minutes by the students themselves without leaving the room. NO FAKE BLOOD!
- Children should be able to put their costume on without adult help. If the costume requires elaborate costuming or make up, please save that for the neighborhood trick-or-treat.
- Please adhere to the school dress code guidelines and students should be dressed appropriately.
Parade – (see attached info and map)
Parking – The Vernon Hills Police Department has authorized parking on the east side only of Aspen Drive to accommodate visitors to Aspen and Elementary South on Tuesday, October 31. Visitors are welcome to park in visitor parking in front of the building or in the staff lot north of Aspen School. There is no parking behind Aspen or in the back staff lot (behind the playground) or bus pick up lanes.
Thank you for your help in making this a great memory for all of the students.
It is time for all of the Aspen ghosts and goblins to come out to play! Students in grades K-5 will be showing off their costumes for all to see on Wednesday, October 31 starting at 12:45. We welcome you to watch us in the Halloween parade.
A parade map is attached so you know where the students will be coming out of the building, viewing other students, and going in the building. Classes will exit and enter the building in grade level order starting with Kindergarten. Please note the special “Parent Viewing Areas”. We ask that you find a spot in these areas to watch and take pictures. This will help minimize traffic congestion.
Once the parade is complete, parents that are helpers in their child’s classroom may check in at the office and go directly to your child’s classroom. Unfortunately, if you are not a helper we will have to ask that you meet your child after school to talk about the fun activities from the day.
If it rains on the 31st we will be parading inside the school. The Parent Viewing Areas will be in the gym, cafeteria and multi-purpose room in that instance. All classes will parade through each area so you will not miss your child all dressed up.
Schedule for 10/31/17:
12:30 – 12:45 – Get costumes on in classrooms – Grades K-5
12:45 – 1:05 – Costume Parade (see map attached)
1:10 – 2:10 – PTO sponsored parties in classrooms
- ACE Student Talks about the TeamNovember 1, 2017 - 9:40 am
- Art Adventure Chairs NeededOctober 10, 2017 - 8:32 am
- Aspen Updates October 6, 2017October 5, 2017 - 3:46 pm
- Students Create Matisse-inspired Name DesignsOctober 3, 2017 - 3:51 pm
- Students Design Windproof Homes in STEM ProjectOctober 3, 2017 - 11:01 am
- Aspen Updates September 29, 2017September 28, 2017 - 3:31 pm
- Brief AlertSeptember 27, 2017 - 11:12 am
- Parent Education TeamSeptember 20, 2017 - 8:20 am
- DreamBox AccessJune 26, 2019 - 4:10 pm
- Students Honored at Fly Away CeremonyJune 7, 2019 - 11:11 am
- Hugs and More Hugs on Last Day of SchoolJune 7, 2019 - 10:05 am
- Aspen’s Got TalentMay 30, 2019 - 4:08 pm
- End of the year PTO partiesMay 30, 2019 - 4:05 pm
- Yearbooks Still AvailableMay 30, 2019 - 4:00 pm
- Library Books are DueMay 30, 2019 - 3:41 pm
- Lost and FoundMay 30, 2019 - 3:40 pm