Planned activities have been scheduled for all Aspen students to help celebrate all the reading that has taken place all year. On Tuesday, a Reading Celebration video will be played in each classroom right after morning announcements. Also starting May 28, our PE teachers will do an activity outside in the “Grassy Grove” during PE. Individual classrooms will take an extra 10 minutes of recess with their class. In Art classes, students will have 10 minutes to draw/color a bookmark. And finally, everyday at the end of the school day next week, Mr. Fredricksen will be sitting in an eagle’s nest next to Regal the Eagle.
This school year Aspen Elementary has been working hard to achieve our 2 million at home minute reading goal. Aspen teachers and staff have asked students to track their at home reading minutes in an effort to increase student achievement and foster a love for learning and reading. We hope you enjoy our video!
Aspen students and staff will come together to introduce the school to our new reading goal. This year students will be challenged to read a combined 2,000,000 minutes. We are excited to introduce this reading initiative to all of our students. Throughout the course of the year we will be updating students on the number of total minutes we have read. As our number of minutes read increases, we will “travel” around the world. We will begin our reading journey in Vernon Hills and visit all of the continents. Students will be able to see the school’s progress on a large map that will be unveiled on Monday, September 21st. During our assembly on Friday afternoon students will learn more about the program and how they can help us reach our goal. Please click here for some more information from the Aspen Reading Team.
Here is the list of summer reading ideas for students. Please visit the public library over the summer and ask a librarian for help if you need more ideas for great books to read. Librarians love helping students find books to enjoy. Happy reading!
- Hawthorn Summer Music Camp 2018March 1, 2018 - 1:54 pm
- Hawthorn Hosts an Evening with the BoardJanuary 30, 2018 - 2:15 pm
- Aspen’s 11th Annual Family UniversityJanuary 30, 2018 - 7:36 am
- Maggie the Reading Dog Visits AspenJanuary 23, 2018 - 9:36 am
- Practice Makes PerfectJanuary 18, 2018 - 11:59 am
- Aspen Updates January 12, 2018January 11, 2018 - 1:16 pm
- Help Needed to Plan Staff AppreciationJanuary 8, 2018 - 8:52 am
- Aspen Updates December 15, 2017December 14, 2017 - 2:12 pm
- Spirit Fridays are coming soon to Aspen School!November 15, 2019 - 8:58 am
- Book Fair is Coming!November 15, 2019 - 8:43 am
- dhTrimester 2 here we come!November 14, 2019 - 4:12 pm
- Skating with Grace and StyleNovember 13, 2019 - 2:26 pm
- Veterans Day – No SchoolNovember 6, 2019 - 1:37 pm
- Parents and Students Solve Problems TogetherNovember 6, 2019 - 10:23 am
- Halloween Room Parties were a hit!October 31, 2019 - 2:42 pm
- Choir Performs at ConcertOctober 31, 2019 - 2:36 pm