In an effort to go paperless within the district, report cards will no longer be sent home on paper. Parents were notified of this change via SchoolMessenger. As of 3/19/19, parents now have access to report cards via the PowerSchool Parent Portal (https://ps.hawthorn73.org/public/). Google Chrome is the recommended browser for accessing the Parent Portal. Safari and Firefox also work, but Internet Explorer does not work well with the report card program. If you are using a phone, you must use a browser on the phone, as the PowerSchool mobile app will not work. Parents will need the student’s Access ID and Access Password in order to get into their account. Parents can print report cards, if you wish, the same way you print anything else from the internet. Please call the office if you have questions about this new procedure.
Field trips can provide students with a window to the real world that they don’t get in the classroom. Aspen students are lucky enough to be going on a variety of field trips this year.
Our 4th graders will be visiting the Shedd Aquarium on Friday, November 2, while on November 6, our 2nd graders will be enjoying an in-house field trip where the Lake County Forest Preserve will be bringing in and presenting “Animals of Lake County”. Our Kindergartners will be enjoying “Pete the Cat” at the Copernicus Center on November 7. Finally, the last field trip in November will be for our 1st graders. They will be enjoying a trip to Legoland in Schaumburg on November 15. Learning can be so much fun!
Over 35 4th grade students have volunteered to help kindergarten students during the kindergarten lunch period. 4th graders will help kindergarteners get their lunches, open packages, making sure everyone has napkins and utensils, collect trash and assist with lining up at the end of the lunch. To participate, 4th graders have agreed to give up one recess period a week to support kindergarten. Our kindergarteners love to get to know the older students and our 4th graders set a wonderful example of how to maintain SOAR behaviors in the lunchroom. Thank you to all of the 4th graders who have oﬀered to help.
The Aspen spring open house / music programs will be presented in May. Kindergarten students, as well as those in grades 1 and 2, will perform on Tuesday evening, May 1 beginning at 6:30 pm. Students in grades 3 – 5 will perform on Thursday evening, May 3 beginning at 6:30. Please note the date change for 3-5 grade performance; there was an error on the district calendar you may have received at the beginning of the year. We are excited to share what your students have been learning! More detailed information will be coming after spring break. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Manchester or Mrs. Luce. Thank you.
Aspen’s second grade students were excited to meet five-year-old Maggie, who is a reading dog. Her owner, Ms. Sharon Dugan, brought her to Aspen as part of a literacy lesson. Ms. Dugan read the book “Brave Norman,” a true story about a blind dog who saved a drowning swimmer. The children took turns reading pages of the book and petting Maggie. Students were instructed on dog safety before they pet her.
May 1, 2017
Dear Parents and Guardians,
This afternoon the district Resource Officer received a report that a white male driving a red car approached a student and offered a ride. There was no enticement or encouragement when the student refused. Please have a conversation about safety with your children. Vernon Hills Police Department has been alerted to the situation.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at 847-990-4215 or via email
Sincerely, Nick Brown Superintendent
1 de Mayo 2017
Queridos Padres y Guardianes,
Esta tarde, el Oficial de Recursos del distrito recibió un reporte de que un hombre blanco conduciendo un coche rojo se acercó a un estudiante y ofreció un paseo. No hubo estímulo ni cuando el estudiante se negó. Por favor, tenga una conversación sobre la seguridad con sus hijos sobre personas extraños. El Departamento de Policía de Vernon Hills ha sido alertado de la situación.
Si tiene alguna pregunta o inquietud, por favor no dude en contactarme al 847-990-4215 o por correo electrónico a email@example.com.
Sinceramente, Nick Brown Superintendente
- Experimenting with Mixed MediaSeptember 5, 2018 - 2:03 pm
- Open House / Music Program InformationApril 25, 2018 - 8:26 am
- Key to 73 Education Foundation Wants Your InputApril 19, 2018 - 1:20 pm
- Aspen Updates April 13, 2018April 12, 2018 - 2:02 pm
- PTO Family Fun & Fitness Night FundraiserApril 12, 2018 - 1:59 pm
- Apsen Updates April 6, 2018April 5, 2018 - 3:21 pm
- Staff Appreciation ContributionsApril 5, 2018 - 3:16 pm
- District 73 Schedules Community Engagement MeetingsMarch 21, 2018 - 2:51 pm
- Homemade Cars Are Put to the Test in Science Olympiad C...April 12, 2021 - 12:02 pm
- Students Test How Far a Paper Airplane Can FlyFebruary 16, 2021 - 10:36 am
- Valentine’s Day Activities Are a BlastFebruary 11, 2021 - 3:02 pm
- Students Learn All About the SunFebruary 10, 2021 - 9:54 am
- Encore Spirit Wear SaleNovember 18, 2020 - 10:45 am
- Community and Families Provide Unprecedented Donations to...November 4, 2020 - 3:35 pm
- 4th Grade Band & Orchestra Orientation Night –...October 8, 2020 - 9:42 am
- Open Enrollment for Optional Student InsuranceSeptember 11, 2020 - 7:55 am