Parents – Every student has been given a Bus Responsibility Pledge to read and sign. Parents are asked to read and sign it, too. This is for ALL students – even those that do not take a bus daily, but because there could be occasions when students will be taking a bus for a field trip, it is important for everyone to know and understand the bus rules. Our top priority is keeping our students safe!
Hawthorn District 73 was informed recently of a bus safety concern regarding the railroad crossing on Butterfield Road south of Illinois Route 60.
By law, school buses must stop at all railroad crossings, then the driver must open the door and get a visual of the tracks to be sure the tracks are clear of any trains. This particular railroad crossing is located close to a curve in the tracks and bus drivers must creep forward to visually view the tracks. Bus drivers can do this without being on the tracks but it is not an ideal situation. Hawthorn District 73 is committed to the safety of all our students and is working with the Village of Vernon Hills, our police resource officer, and our busing company, Lakeside Transportation in reevaluating this crossing.
Hawthorn Superintendent of Schools
- Kindergarten Bus RideApril 7, 2017 - 3:42 pm
- Education Foundation LaunchedMarch 19, 2017 - 1:22 pm
- Register Now for D73 Summer ClassesMarch 19, 2017 - 12:38 pm
- Aspen Art FairMarch 18, 2017 - 1:18 pm
- NESTMarch 16, 2017 - 10:42 am
- Meetings Set on Hawthorn School Construction PlansMarch 16, 2017 - 9:37 am
- PTO Invites You to Attend “Air: The Invisible Won...March 14, 2017 - 10:06 am
- Author Inspires ReadingMarch 7, 2017 - 7:24 pm
- Aspen Giving TreeDecember 14, 2018 - 11:03 am
- Report card envelopesDecember 14, 2018 - 11:02 am
- Spirit Days Holiday Break CountdownDecember 14, 2018 - 11:00 am
- Morning intramural programDecember 14, 2018 - 10:56 am
- Geography BeeDecember 14, 2018 - 10:51 am
- Aspen Holds a Geography BeeDecember 13, 2018 - 3:04 pm
- Giving tree in Aspen LobbyDecember 6, 2018 - 8:44 pm
- Eagle award winners announcedDecember 6, 2018 - 3:55 pm